Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Pattern Review: The Big Tote Bag

So after like 6 months of silence....I'm back!! I'm not quite sure if it was the business of the semester or what, but I just couldn't dedicate time to all that was going on AND this little blog. My posts will still probably be few for now, but I'm ok with that.

So this summer has also been far busier than I ever imagined! I have been studying for hours a day for the PCAT (for pharmacy school!!) and working out and squeezing in sewing a little bit here and there when I get the chance. One of my favorite patterns this summer so far has been The Big Tote Bag pattern by Abby from the blog Things for Boys. Let me tell you...this is such a great pattern!!! I have made two so far and am soo pleased with them! Abby gives great, easy-to-follow instructions with lots of pictures! The first one I made has been a great bag for me to throw all of my study materials for the PCAT in and take with me to Starbucks. It has also been a great bag to take to the farmer's market! Lots of room!

For the first bag, I found the outer fabric at a local fabric store and the lining at Hobby Lobby! Both fabrics are duck cloth and give the bag a little more structure. Rather than interfacing, I used canvas and I am very pleased with the results! Just make sure to be careful going over the seams, they tend to get pretty thick.



For the second bag (made for my sister-in-law), she chose these wonderful coordinating prints from Hobby Lobby as well (Stripes and Anchors) and I absolutely love them!! And the stripes match up perfectly!! Another great feature about this bag is it is reversible!! Abby has a great tutorial for a pocket on the inside (or outside) as well as a zipper divider pocket. However, if you do the zipper pocket, the bag won't be reversible. I am looking forward to trying the pocket on the next bag I make!! 



3 comments :

  1. I love the bags! So glad to see a new post on your blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm glad to be back! :)

      Delete
  2. Love your bags! The stripey one is the perfect beach bag!

    ReplyDelete